Friday, June 21, 2013

To The Brokenhearted

I can't say I know how it feels to be dumped, to be in love, or to even be in a relationship. I've never been in love. However, I do know how it feels to be betrayed, and left, and hurt by someone you love. And god does it hurt. I was betrayed and left by my parents. Two years ago, my dad took a knife and stabbed my mother in front of me. He had gone for me first but my mom protected me. My brother was stabbed three times and almost died. I was twelve. My mom died that night. Five months later, my dad was found dead. I was betrayed by my own father and lost the only two people I fully trusted. In comes self-harm. Of course, I already hurt myself in subtler ways- choking, picking, hitting, pulling my hair... I'd never cut myself before though. But I do now, and I don't know if I can stop. I had terrible trust issues and paranoia before, now it's increased a hundred fold. And I hurt, I hurt so so bad.
So, I know what it's like to be left, hurt, betrayed, brokenhearted. But, I also know that there comes a point when you have to move on. It doesn't have to be all at once. Take little steps. The other day I finally sold some of the clothes I kept purely for sentimental value. It took me over two years. Baby steps. I know that I will never fully get over it, but I can get stronger and move on. The same with those of you in relationships. I know you may have believed or actually were absolutely, completely in love. But maybe, just maybe, they weren't the right one for you. I hope that maybe someday you can move on and continue living your life, maybe finding new love. It's never too late. You don't have to get over them right away, but take baby steps. Convince yourself that you can get through this. Maybe your profile still has something they wrote on it, like saying that you'd be with them forever. Take a picture of it, then delete it from your profile. Take a picture for the memories, but delete it to prove to yourself that it's over and that you can move on. Sometimes there's no point in holding onto stuff like that, it'll only hurt you more every time you look at it.
I can't promise that you'll stop hurting, or that it'll get better any time soon, but it WILL get better. Maybe it'll take a few weeks, maybe a few years. Hold on to the memories, but don't live in the past. It will only bring you down. You are strong enough to move on and you can have a brighter future. Maybe you'll meet someone you can love even more. You'll never know if you don't allow your heart to move on. I hope things get better for all of you soon.
A Little Bit Stronger
  ^  Listen to this song, even if you don't like the genre... Listen to the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment